Action Plan Report 2016-2017

Objectives / Project/activity / Main tasks  / Responsibilities/timeline/What has been done

Objective 1:
1. Increase activity level among Section members and develop our network
1.1. Follow-up of the WLIC2016 sessions
1.1.1 Write a report of the presentations and invite to a discussion
1.1.1. The working team responsible for the purpose (Follow-up: Laila Hussein Moustafa is responsible)

Ad 1.1.1.: Follow-up work has not been done yet. Monica Naluwooza and Bozena will be part of the group working with the Follow-up, especially after Satellite Meeting in Vilnius We registered a need for and an interest in such a project.

1.2 Develop closer cooperation with SC of other Sections
1.2.1 Extend cooperation with other sections when planning the new sessions (joint sessions);  we already cooperate with Asia & Oceania Section  Bozena contacts other sections get support from our “Goodwill Ambassadors”

Ad Both our events this year were organized jointly with the Asia and Oceania and the Information Technology section. Members of the IT committee participated actively in discussing and formulating topics for both events, in evaluating and choosing proposals for the presentations, and in promoting the sessions.

Objective 2:
2. Recruit members to GENLOC section: national associations, libraries, institutions
and commited individuals; promote diversity with regard to countries and world
2.1  Plan a marketing/recruiting campaign
2.1.1 Write a recruitment letter and distribute; establish a list of institutions and 
individuals which can help us in recruiting new members; contact IFLA’s Regional Offices.
2.1.1.  Genloc SC has already established the Marketing/Recruiting team responsible for the project.
Ad 2.1.1.: Nothing has so far been done in this area.

Objectives 3:
3. Increase participation/engagement among members of SC/Corr.Members
3.1  Develop different strategies – to increase participation and networking
3.1.1 Skype meetings; further development of GENLOC blog

3.2 Produce 2-3 Newsletter issues
3.2.1 Assign functions/responsibility and timeline to different Working Groups
3.2.1. Working Team: Agnes Namaganda, Monica Naluwooza, Elizabeth Melrose and Petro Coreejes-Brink, cooperate

Ad 3.2.: One Newsletter was produced by Agnes in 2017.

Objective 4:
4. Use business meetings actively under IFLA congress to recruite candidates
for SC members
4.1  “Officers-in Training”, as the means to engage the candidates for SC members, in the
present activities of SC, so they get experience with IFLA activities and get knowledge
of what it is expected of them
4.1.1  Assign the candidates to the different working groups and let them participate in
the current work of SC

4.1.2 Get support from Regional Offices with the nominations of the candidates from their
4.1.1. This term vi give priority to the Latin America & Carribien and Asia & Oceania IFLA Regional Offices

Ad 4.1.1.: We have got one new member, Hector Orellana Flores, from Chile. Cecilia Salvatore, elected the new Secretary for Genloc, has a Pacific Island background, and Hyekyong Ahn comes from the Republic of Korea.

Objective 5:
5. Conference/ SC Planning Handbook
5.1  Collect experiences with the work in SC, planning of the sessions etc.,
which are relevant for our Section.
5.1.1  Update experiences and advices already  gathered  by Sonia and Bozena;
publish information on Genloc blog, in our Newsletter and later on IFLA web.

5.1.1.: Experiences with the planning and implementation of the Satellite Meeting and the main session, from last year and this year, will be gathered from Sonia, Bozena, Cherie and Kate. Especially as we now have more experience with brief talks (“Pecha Kucha”) and the “World café” format to encourage discussions.  Some of our advice we have already written down and published on our blog (Sonia and Bozena). We can also ask speakers and participants for feedback about the format (what functioned well and what did not).

Objective 6:
# Libraries in Society, # Information and Knowledge, # Cultural Heritage,
# Capacity Building, # Libraries, Solidarity and society

6.1  The theme for the Satellite Meeting in Vilnius (Lithuania)15-17 August, is:
“The Challenge of Multiple Identities. Multiethnicity in Genealogy, Local History and
Regional Memory – Challenges and Opportunities for Libraries and other Memory Institutions”.

The theme reflects the responsibility of libraries and institutions with genealogical
collections, to be in solidarity with, to share and and make visible the multi-ethnical
plurality in the modern society.#Libraries, Solidarity and Society

6.1.1 The form we chose for our Satellite and WLIC sessions, is a “Lightning Talk”
model, with round table discussions, in order to promote interaction and
engagement among participants.

6.1.2  Presentation: ”Using wikis to share
resources in Genealogy, Local, Family and Oral History.”, by The Norwegian Institute Of Local History. # Cultural Heritage
 The presentation is an example of cooperation between the volunteer sector in Norway
(local historical associations, individuals) and the professional institution,  in sharing
and publishing the genealogical resources and using gratis platforms, like wikies.
6.1.3  We plan a full-day workshop in Vilnius: ”Elearning: strategies and practices”  by Tord Høivik, Associate Prof. (Oslo & Akershus University of Applied Sciences, Norway). Elearning will have a large impact on higher education in the period 2017-2020. Universities and libraries should develop a capability to produce elearning programs and learning productions skills.
# Capacity Building

The workshop is about how to use Open EdX tools, and is of special interest for
libraries, universities, institutions and other bigger organizations which are responsible for online education courses. These tools are free or at low cost. Our hosts in Vilnius are: the Martynas Mažvydas National Library of Lithuania, Director General, Prof. Renalda Gaudaskas, and the Institute of Library and Information Sciences, Faculty of Communication, Vilnius University,  Director, Prof. Arvydas Pacevicius. The Session is jointly with the Asia & Oceania and the IT Section and proposals will be reviewed by representatives of the three sections.  The convener for the session is Cherie Bush, Family Search Org.  Tord and Bozena travel to Vilnius in January 2016 to meet our hosts and check the details

Ad 6.1.: The Satellite Meeting in Vilnius was successfully realized. The E-learning workshop had thirtyfive participants in the lecture/discussion part (before lunch) and seventeen during the hands-on part (20 was the limit). The second day, with about fortyfive participants, had eight presentations and a special session about DNA, with Daniel Horowitz from MyHeritage. The National Library provided also tea/coffee for all and the souvenirs for the speakers. Using “lightning talks” as the presentation form and the “world cafè” as the discussion format functioned well, but the formats require a bit of planning: instructing the presenters, setting up a suitable number of tables for group discussions, preparing people to act as moderators (they should read the papers beforehand and prepare some relevant questions, etc.). We will write all this down when we collect our experiences. Cooperation with NL worked fine. They assigned a special team for working with our conference: registration, designing the name badges, posters, printing the program etc.

6.2  Theme for main session in Wroclaw is: “New insights at the intersection of genealogy
and other professional communities – including librarians, archivists, historians,
demographers, linguists and anthropologists”.

The activities of these communities tend to overlap through their work with similar sets of historical documents. Modern society presupposes cooperation between different sectors. Today’s users expect our libraries, archives, and other institutions with genealogical collections and interests to reflect this fact. These organizations should reach out, combining their specialized and inward-directed work with activities that cross institutional and disciplinary boundaries. More hybridization, in other other words.
#Libraries in Society, #Capacity Building, #Cultural Heritage

We wish is to expand boarders between the genealogy and other professional
communities and to introduce new and innovative connections, like DNA
research and genealogy; we want also to show genealogy and local history from the
perspective of children (outreach programs) and cooperation with the volunteer
6.2.1.This session off-site session is hosted by the Lower Silesian Public Library (Dolnoslaska Biblioteka Publiczna im. Tadeusza Mikulskiego, in the Old City), 
Director: Andrzej Twyc.
6.2.2 Kate Cordes, New York Public Library, is the convener of the session; the form will be a series of “Lightning Talks”.
6.2.4 Bozena travelled to Wroclaw (13-18 November 2016), to check the details.

Ad 6.2.: This session will take place on Monday 21th August. Cooperation with the library where the conference will take place, is good, but because this session is off-site, our SC are responsible for many things like:
Organizing the volunteers for our session – they are supplied by Olesnica, a town 30 km from Wroclaw (two persons), Bozena has got help to design and to print the Program for the session and name tags in Norway (40 Euro, with receipt), while the list of the registered participants is published on the blog. Also 40 euro went to pay for the IFLA Officers, dinner (for Kate Cordes), as thanks for her chairing the session in Wroclaw.
SC budget 2016-2017=100 euro
40 euro Printing + 40 euro Ifla Dinner + 20 euro for token gifts to the speakers in Wroclaw = 100 euro
Total used = 100 euro
* Last year, IFLA decided that Treasurer was not needed anymore, so now it is enough that the SC’s Secretary signes the invoice in order to get the refund from IFLA.

We are organizing two sessions, one with papers on genealogy and local history and one with presentations by Daniel Horowitz from MyHeritage. In the afternoon we have also provided space for a Belarus Special Session. This is organized by the Belarus National Library.

6.3  Project: ”Promoting Genealogy and Local History Collections using Social Media
in Uganda”. #Libraries in Society, #Capacity Building, #Cultural Heritage

Genloc will continue  to support the project, it is based  on the African/Special
Collections, at Makerere University it is an example of a project used as a means to
build national awareness, with an outreach program for pupils and young people,
based on genealogy and local history.
6.3.1. Our colleagues: Agnes Namaganda, Haliimah Nabuuma and Monica Naluwooz, are
responsible for the project. Monica had a presentation of the project under our
session in Columbus.

Ad 6.3.: Monica and Rachel have written a presentation, but did not manage to find the funds to come to Wroclaw.

6.4  Overview of Outreach Programs for youth in Africa
#Capacity Building, #Libraries in Society, #Cultural Heritage

6.4.1 Collect the programs and publish it on IFLA web Nikiwe Momoti, Archive Western Cape, South Africa, will be responsible
for collecting the programs from 
South Africa and African Region.

Ad 6.4.: We did not yet get information how this project is going on.

6.5 Bring aspects developed in IFLA society to the communities # Libraries in Society, # Cultural Heritage

6.5.1 Post-conference in Wroclaw: “Libraries and places of heritage collections that can be of value for tourism”. The conference host will be Olesnica, a small town of 35 thousand inhabitants, close to Wroclaw. The place was already known in 1230. It was long used as a private residence for Polish kings and preserves an impressive castle from 1616.  A few years ago the public library in Olesnica was transformed into a culture center. The library and the town is on the official Library Visit Program for IFLA in Wroclaw 2017. During my trip to Poland I was lucky to meet the Mayor of Olesnica, and he is willing to sponsor such a conference at his place. Bozena will convene the conference, which is planned in the Autumn 2017 or early in 2018.

Ad 6.5.: Bozena has met with officials from Olesnica twice. They are willing to sponsor the conference. We got acceptance from IFLA already. It is now planned for June-July. The topic may be of interest to many from Eastern Europe, since travel to Kuala Lumpur will be too expensive for most institutions and individuals.

6.6  Satellite Meeting WLIC 2018, at Penang, Malaysia

6.6.1 Define the theme relevant for the time and regional place.
6 .6.1.1 The Working group has been established: Chihfeng P.Lin (Taiwan), Takashi
Nagatsuka (Japan). Khoo Salme (Areca Books) will be the convener for the session.
Ad 6.6.1.: The Satellite Conference was accepted by IFLA.

  1. Global Vision and input from Standing Committee and Section: discuss input from your section and committee.
    “In 2017 there will be some changeover of Standing Committee members but, this is
    an opportunity to involve a greater number of people in the process. There will be additional time following the Congress, until the end of September, to provide feedback and further comment.”
    Global Vision meeting & workshop in April in Athens. Petro Corejees-Brink and Cecilia Salvatore participated. We should have a report from them. They were also responsible for the process of input of ideas from our SC to the IFLA Global Vision process.


Action Plan: Bozena Rasmussen, 12th November 2016.

Report:  Bozena Rasmussen, 17th August 2017.